Speed Was a Factor in Tiger Woods’ Crash

On April 7, 2021, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told reporters the primary factor that caused Tiger Woods’ car crash on February 23, 2021, was high speed. Tiger Woods was driving approximately 83 mph when his Genesis SUV passed by a median and through the oncoming traffic lane before crashing into a tree in Rancho Palos Verdes, California.

According to the black box in Woods’ SUV, he was traveling 84-87 mph in a 45-mph zone at the time of the crash. When his car hit a tree, he was traveling an estimated 75 mph. Sheriff Villaneuva explained why Woods wasn’t charged with any crime or issued a citation for reckless driving or speeding by saying, “You need witnesses or a law enforcement officer to see it happening to issue a citation. You need a human being to witness it.” Villaneuva also said multiple violations are needed to charge someone with reckless driving.

Sheriff Villaneuva further added Woods and his representatives were cooperative in the investigation and gave police permission to share the report with the public. Woods tweeted, “I am so grateful to both the good [S]amaritans who came to assist me and called 911. I am also thankful to the LASD deputies and LA firefighter/paramedics especially LA Sheriff’s deputy Carlos Gonzalez and LAFD Engine No. 106 fire paramedics Smith and Gimenez, for helping me so expertly at the scene and getting me safely to the hospital (sic).”

The law enforcement believes Woods inadvertently hit the accelerator instead of the brake after crossing the median. Deputies also believe he tried correcting his steering before the collision. According to the collected data, there was no braking and “99 percent acceleration” during the accident. The deputies also reviewed a video of Woods leaving the resort where he was staying on the day of the accident and along the route to where the accident happened. The sheriff said there was “no increased speed or rushed behavior.”

Sheriff Villaneuva also added, “No odor of alcohol and no sign of any narcotics,” implying that there was no impairment during or after the accident. He said no warrant was issued to check Woods’ phone records from during the accident.